Why is the building here:
Due to the threat of war, a the government decided to build a munitions factory in Kirkby, with work beginning on the site in 1939. According to records office Knowsley ARK, the urgency for a huge amount of land needed meant short notice was given to the occupiers of the 12 farms affected by the construction.
The Royal Ordnance Factory, which was completed in 1941, became a major employer in the town and had people travel from Liverpool, Birkenhead, St Helen’s and more to be part of the workforce. Liverpool City Council bought the site for industrial development in the post war years and afterwards it became Kirkby Industrial Estate.
RJ Edwards & Co Engineering took over the building in 2003 from Belfour Betty.